People always prefer finding the home of their dreams. Whether it is to rent a property or buy one, consideration is always given to the interior of the house, its decorations, the neighborhood and many other aspects. What people tend to often ignore are the potential health hazards often present on account of the lead materials. The danger becomes manifold in case you have children in your house, especially those in between the ages of one year to six years.
Why lead paint is dangerous for children
Massachusetts is vulnerable to a host of health problems caused by lead poisoning. This is because around 1.57 million homes were already built before 1978. These homes still have lead paint, thus posing a danger to millions of children. In fact, the most common cause of lead poisoning in Massachusetts is due to the lead paint in homes built before 1978. These homes have lead paint on the inside as well as the outside part of the building. This raises the risk for children. The reason is that the old lead paint would sooner be cracking and peeling, thus leading to the creation of lead dust. This dust may accumulate on the hands of the children when they play around. Children have a habit of putting their hands in their mouth and therefore the lead may find a way inside their body.
Negative effects of lead pain
Lead poisoning has many adverse consequences. It affects the brain, the nervous system and the kidneys. Even if taken in smaller levels, it may cause learning and behavioral problems for children.
Lead laws in Massachusetts
Massachusetts has strict lead laws in place to protect the children from lead poisoning. Homes built before 1978 and having children under the age of 6 have to be made safe from the hazards of lead paint. The law makes it mandatory for all property owners to comply with this law. The responsibility of any child falling prey to lead poisoning will fall on the owner. In such a case, the owner will not be liable to any exemption even in case he or she was unaware about the lead. The law makes it the responsibility of the owner to find about the lead.
Center for Disease Control
As determined by the Center for Disease Control, there are no safe levels of lead in the blood stream (BLL). Above the levels of 5 μg/dL (micrograms per deciliter), negative health repercussions are suffered which include learning and behavioral problems, low level of IQ, and stunted growth.
The current situation in Massachusetts
The danger of lead poisoning in Massachusetts cannot be underestimated in any way. This place has around 20,000 children below the age of 6 having blood lead levels considered to be in the danger zone. Majority of these children will go on to suffer a permanent damage due to the lead exposure they received.