1. Energy efficiency increases
A grass-covered roof can significantly lower the energy needed to heat or cool a building. This natural insulation helps prevent the building’s heat from rising in summer. It also keeps heat inside the building in winter, which results in lower energy bills.
2. Stormwater and rainfall management should be improved
For managing rainwater, green roofs are the best option. They can retain as much as 90 percent of the rainfall in summer and 40 percent in winter. They prevent water surges from storms by absorbing most of the water that evaporates.
3. Air quality can be improved by reducing urban heat island effects and improving its efficiency.
The average summer temperature in large cities and urban areas can be reduced by having a rooftop garden or green space. A green roof’s temperature is typically between 30degF to 40degF cooler than a traditional roof. This means that urban temperatures can be reduced by approximately 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Additional environmental benefits
Eco-roofs can be a great way to reduce the environmental impact of humans. Because HVAC systems have lower loads, it is easier to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Green roofs also last longer and produce less waste.
5. Create new amenities spaces
A green roof accessible from the ground provides urban green space that improves comfort and enjoyment for the building’s inhabitants. There are many ways to make use of green space above a building. Here are some examples:
- A garden that includes a vegetable and herb garden to be used by the building’s residents or the community.
- You can create a tranquil space for relaxation with a yoga studio, children’s play area, or an outdoor gym.
- You can use the space to create a welcoming area with cafés and terraces for restaurants.
- Outdoor work spaces can improve the well-being and productivity of office employees.
- Enhance the aesthetics of your building and attract wildlife to urban areas like butterflies and bees.
6. Urban landscapes with more biodiversity
A green roof has a significant environmental benefit in large cities. The green roofs provide habitat for many species of birds and plants that are otherwise rare in urban areas. The green spaces also provide habitat for birds that migrate and link species.
This post was written by Ted Williams! Ted is the owner of A Old Time Roofing, one of the best roofing companies in Saint Petersburg, FL! Ted is a Master Elite Weather Stopper GAF Roofing Contractor, a double award winner of Best Steep-Slope Contractor from GAF and achiever of Master Elite Consumer Protection Excellence from GAF. He has been serving the Pinellas County area since 1978. Old Time Roofing has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties. Click here for more information!